13 OZ – 370 G SOLO TARP – USES ONE 49” POLE
The Deschutes is a no-frills tarp shelter, everything you need and nothing you don’t, providing the ultimate freedom.
No floor. No pockets. Nothing but the essentials, the Deschutes gets the job done at an affordable price. At a mere 13 ounces, this pyramid-style design is incredibly stable providing 360° protection is some of the most extreme conditions. The Deschutes gives any hiker the freedom to move fast and light without sacrifice.
*Shelters including a seam sealing service may not ship immediately.
The Deschutes shelter provides 44 sq. ft. of protection and is easily set up with one trekking pole to a maximum height of 49 inches. This allows plenty of room to sit up without feeling tight.**
The tiny footprint allows you to pitch this tarp in even the most precarious spots. That means you can tuck yourself away in locations others would scoff at.
- Constructed from tough but light Silicone Nylon.
- Pyramid design is extremely effective at shedding wind from all directions
- When paired with the Serenity NetTent, it creates a double-walled, ultralight, solo tent that weighs a mere 24 ounces.
- One trekking pole setup allows you to vary the height depending on weather conditions.
- Side entry for convenience.
- 44 sq. ft. of living space with a peak height of 49 inches – a surprising amount of space-to-weight ratio.
- Easy to pitch with just one adjustable trekking pole and six stakes*.
- Long Zippered Entry for easier entry and exit.
- Top Ventto reduce condensation.
- Single Pole Setupwith hexagonal shape provides maximum protection at minimum weight.
- Easy Tension Adjustment so you can keep the tent taut from the comfort of your sleeping bag.
- 360° Weather Protection
- Pairs Easily with the Serenity NetTent to keep the bugs at bay.
- Extremely Easy Setup
I'm over 6'. Will I fit? The answer is: it depends. There are many factors that determine if you'll be comfortable using the Deschutes. It depends upon the height of the setup, the depth of your sleeping pad and your sleeping style. Take a look at the picture of the Deschutes Tarp with the Serenity NetTent, the Serenity is 84" or 7' long and has vertical end walls of 9". Without the Serenity, the height is 13" between ground and canopy at the point where the Serenity would end.
These days many people like using thick 2" to 4" deep sleeping mats. While they are comfortable, they will significantly compromise internal space and reduce headroom. Setting up the Deschutes low to the ground will do the same. However, when properly set up, most people will find the Deschutes has both plenty of room and weather protection.
- What is the recommended Pole Height? The Deschutes Tarp can be set up at different heights. At 40" the Deschutes hugs the ground providing maximum protection. The Deschutes can accommodate a variable height of between 45" to 49" depending upon conditions and your personal preferences. For maximum interior space or when using the Serenity NetTent, set your pole to 49". In most cases, you'll want to angle your pole, so the bottom of it is inside the vestibule area. This helps to maximize the sleeping area.
Tarp, Stuff Sacks, Guy lines
12" X 4.5"
13 oz - 368 g
6 (sold separately)
Single 49" Pole (sold separately)
44 ft2 - 4 m2
|20D Silicone Coated Nylon
Deschutes Tarp OverviewBy: Six Moon Designs
1. Weight does not include stakes or pole.
*Support poles and stakes sold separately.
**Individuals over 6’ may have limited headroom depending on sleeping pad height and other factors. Review dimensions to determine whether this shelter meets your height needs.
Lost your set-up instructions? Additional instructions can be downloaded here.
After setting this up once in the park (city living;-), I took it on an overnight bike trip, along with the serenity tent and a pole. The setup went great and the net inside was surprisingly roomy, with more floor space than my Big Agnes Tiger Wall 1P. I haven't sealed it yet but I knew it would be dry and there was no problem with any condensation. I was warm and comfortable all night and was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to enter and exit.
I like this tarp, it was my first time camp with this tarp. There is a big space for cooking, rest. When you use the tracking pole around 125cm, the ventilation is awesome.
Thanks for this tarp and arrival in time.
I’ve had this tarp for 4 years. I’ve used it in every kind of weather you can think of from heavy rain and snow to summer mountain backpacking. Once you accept that this is to keep weather off and not bugs out, you quickly realize how awesome it is. Ultralight, easy to set up and keeps you dry. Set the low side to the wind and your Good to go. It has room enough to put all your gear inside and keep it dry as well. I’m getting older (62) and this helps me keep up with the younger punks on the trail. I also love how little real estate it takes up in my pack.